Title Assigned by Author

The Mouth of the Klamath River

Photo ID

1999.20.0022

Photographer

Patterson

Type

image

Subjects

Coastal scenes; Klamath River

Region

18 - Del Norte County.

Preview

image preview

Notes

copy 1: 4x5 in, b & w, photographic negative; copy 1: 8x10 in, b & w, photoprint

Comments

Pre-May 1926. Shot of the mouth of the Klamath River by photographer Patterson. This is Patterson #991 and probably dated after his #916 (Schoenrock #23), which shows the old Douglas Bridge after completion in May, 1926 ( Lower Klamath Country, by Frances Turner McBeth, 1950, p. 65). Sam Jones of Martin's Ferry, whose father was the "son" of Weitchpec Jones, the latter being either the father or father's father of Mrs. Harry (Ethel Jones) Williams, Sr., owner of the white house in the foreground, used to visit the Williams in the era of this photo. He reported that the pool in the foreground used to fill during high tides, trapping eels within it. He can remember eels being "hooked" from this pool (Notebook XXXVI:120). Note this shot shows the "south side" mouth of the Klamath River and the Klamath River bar coming to the river bank between Tucker's Rock and Cannery Point, the latter on the west side of Cannery Cove. See #84 on date of #22.

Rights

Copyright has not been assigned to the Humboldt State University Library. To obtain permission to publish or reproduce, please contact the Special Collections Librarian. Copyright restrictions also apply to digitial representations of the original materials. Use of digital files is restricted to research and educational purposes.

Keywords

Coastal scenes; Klamath River

Share

 
COinS