"This week, on an ultra special edition of LoCO’s lo-fi pandemic-era podcast Humboldt Holding Up, we’re having ourselves a li’l party. A birthday party, even! For ‘twas 10 years ago this week, during a particularly aggressive 101 mudslide, that Humboldt began its clicky affair with ye olde Lost Coast Outpost. And, by golly, we’re still here, kids!
To commemorate this blessed milestone, LoCO’s editor-in-chief, lead programmer and main dude Hank Sims stops by the podcast to share his thoughts on why his website (still) works in Humboldt even while he struggles to come up with some highlights from the site’s decade-long history. Topics include (but are not limited to):
- How Humboldt’s intense interest in itself allowed for a site like LoCO to ascend and thrive
- His journey from Willits, to UC Berkeley, to the North Coast Journal, to the teal brand
- LoCO’s non-traditional human approach to news
- The COVID year that sucked
- Orleans! What a great place."